Year Four – 2016-17 Hawthorn 2 class

| Home |

Fantasy Stories

You have discussed what are the key features (ingredients) for a fantasy story. Can you think of examples from books you might have read, or movies you may have seen that are based on books. Tell your readers a little bit about your examples.

For example :

Fantasy setting – the Discworld in many Terry Pratchett books. The Discworld is on the back of 4 elephants travelling through space on the back of the giant space turtle, Great A’tuin.

The key features of fantasy stories are:

Fantasy setting, fantasy objects, fantasy characters/creatures, a quest or problem and magic.

Users who have LIKED this post:

Comments

1.    Maxim says:

Fantasy setting: Hogwarts from Harry Potter, a school to learn witchcraft and wizardry

Fantasy object: Wand in lots of different books, which cast amazing spells

Fantasy character: Elves, Dwarves, Wizards/Witches

Quest/problem: Nomes need to escape in truckers

Magic: Lots of different spells in Harry Potter, such as expeliamous

In Harry potter voldemort has two faces in the first book and film. (It freaked me out) Also in Harry Potter and the goblet of fire, Harry had to fight a dragon, which is a fantasy creature.

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:50 am #      Reply
  2.    Julia says:

Fantasy object-drink me potion from Alice in Wonderland.it made Alice shrink when she drank it.

Fantasy setting-sugar cute land from Animal Cuties.The sugar cute land is made out candy ,what more cute animals Rome and in the night they turn into MONSTER ,SO BE AWERE!!!!

fantasy character-Towee from the convoy.He wears a metal enbrased hat.

fantasy animal-vunya the kitten.She can shape shift and talk.she is little and goleny and ginger.

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:51 am #      Reply
  3.    19shruti says:

Fantasy setting -the spider gnomes. Which is filled with trees ,dark and gloomy, gigantic spider webs and finally the gateway to the human world.
    Fantasy object- the magic key which can only open the gateway with the one gem, you could choose whichever from six gems.
    Problem-spider gnomes attack the human world.
    Magic-Harry potter. Running through the wall, flying on a broomstick.

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:53 am #      Reply
    •    Mr L says:

I’ve never heard of The Spider Gnomes but it sounds like you enjoyed it!

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:56 am #      Reply
      •    Areej says:

WILL YOU TRY IT OUT BECAUSE I WILL

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:58 am #      Reply
  4.    Areej says:

Fantasy setting:In Harry potter the settings are Hogwarts , muggles worlds and wizard school.

Fantasy object:Magical books wands potions.

Fantasy character: Harry potter,Voldemort, Hagrid,

Quest or problem… That when hagrid came unusual things started to happen.

Non existing phrases: Muggles, wizards .

Non historical facts:Such as Voldemort is
    the most powerful wizard in the whole of Hogwarts.

Other things: the book is based on magic tales that non other muggle can reveal.

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:57 am #      Reply
  5.    Miles says:

I have thought of many ideas, I have chosen the best!

Fantasy Setting —– Volcano Crystal Comics. In ‘My brother is a Superhero!’ Cristopher Talbot planned to drain Star Lad’s powers to save the world from a meteorite. It was a alternative place to Alien’s Invades Crystal Comics!

Fantasy Object —– Portal Staff from Portal Masters. When they attack the Portzomers base, they find the Portal Staff. They us it to escape in a flash!

Fantasy characters/creatures —- The BFG. We have all heard of this one. The BFG, the jolly dream blowing giant!

A quest or a problem —- The Quest to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon! (The Hobbit) (I haven’t read the book I just read the blurb! 🙂 I don’t know anything about the franchise)

Magic —- Harry Potter! The obvious one, they cast spells. They also do magic to protect people and friends.

I will now rank the features!
    1. Quest/ A problem
    2. Fantasy Character!
    3. Fantasy Setting!
    4. Fantasy Item!
    5. Magic!

I have chosen a Quest/ A problem as the most important because I think you don’t need Fantasy character, Fantasy objects, Items or Magic! All you really need is a quest for a good book. If you didn’t have a quest/ problem what would your characters be doing?

I hope these are all good points and suggestions!
    lol

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 10:57 am #      Reply
    •    Charlie Crow says:

Wow – this is an amazing comment – I’ve leaned loads about Fanstasy stories – do you think Diary of a Wimpy Kid is fantasy? I love it! But I’m not sure if it fits with your list of features.

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 11:00 am #      Reply
      •    Miles says:

No, I do not think that it is because in the Diary of a wimpy kid. The events can happen to anyone, I am not really sure if it is fantasy because it dose’t have any of the features above! (:
        I also think that you would enjoy ‘My Brother Is A Superhero!’ It is a good book and will keep you hooked and like this (: for ages!

Users who have LIKED this post:

Posted June 15, 2017, 2:31 pm #      Reply
    •    Miles says:

I did not realise but it took me a hour (; (:

Users who have LIKED this post: